|Home History Home Village Index Parish Council Railway history Local shipwrecks||
St.Bees Parish Council
The Beginning - Parish Revolution - (See Village History for full account)
On 4th December 1894 all roads in St. Bees led to the Village School. A large and excited crowd was assembling to elect the village’s first parish council. The new parish councils being set up all over England and Wales would be the first democratically elected bodies in the parishes. There was a whiff of rural revolution in the air; local affairs were being put in the hands of the man and woman in the street and excitement ran high.
The result was declared, and it only remained for Mr. Kitchin to allow a final opportunity for a secret ballot request. After an awkward silence a Mr. Brockbank spoke up, several other voters supported him, and the chairman was obliged to nullify that evening’s vote. A new election would be held on the 18th December - democracy had to be properly served!
Click below for full account - "100 years of St Bees".