|Home Churches Home Priory Home Bells Home History Bells Jubilee Ringer Hymn St Bees Peals Gallery||
Bells & Bell Ringers
The large Norman tower of St. Bees Priory contains a fine ring of eight bells rung in the English "full circle" fashion. Cast in 1857 by C&G Mears of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, they are tuned to a diatonic scale of F Major and the heaviest bell is 13 hundredweight (650 Kg).
They were re-hung and re-tuned by Gillett and Johnson of Croydon in 1953, but they are still in their original oak frame of 1857.
There is a very active band of bell ringers; ringing times are practice Wedneday 20.00 and Sundays 10.00.The Tower Captain is Doug Sim, Tel. 01946 824898. se the menu on the left for more information.
Hear the bells click here... St Bees Bells ringing in 2008